Friday, July 20, 2012

God's work in my life is not a to-do list

I like to have a reason for everything. It bothers me to just “be.” I like checklists, progress reports, and measurable improvement.

This laser-like focus on productivity has often placed a roadblock in my relationship with Christ. Because while I may work by crossing off steps and aiming for finality, God’s work in my life is not something that I can mark complete and move on from. It’s never finished, and it’s not achievable like a to-do list with every item marked off.
It’s been tough not to put expectations on my time here. At the office, I long for well-defined, checklist projects. And there have been some, but much of what I do is undefined and involves a lot of patience. I have to wait for the web and graphics people to finish the design before I can write copy. I have to wait for people to email me back until I can make the next step on a press release.

In ministry, this has also been hard. I don’t want to view the people we talk to on campus or around the city as “things” to mark as complete. Sometimes, I’m content to just satisfy myself with the completion of talking to someone, instead of relying on the Holy Spirit to give me a genuine desire to care about them in a personal way.

Tuesday was the first time I talked to a student who was actually interested in the Gospel. And it had nothing to do with anything I said. It had everything to do with the Spirit of God in me.
I can say that because I didn’t try to walk through some step-by-step process. I just let it happen. I focused on the person in front of me, the fact that she was hurting and that there was hope that I could tell her about.

I pray that God will continue to challenge me to care for the people and to leave behind the checklist.
By Mackenzie Touby, PR/Communications Intern , Boston Ops Project 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment