Friday, September 22, 2017

Book Review/Recommendation


I almost put this book down after reading the first chapter, because it seemed so basic and really more appropriate for a younger (in every sense) believer.  I stuck with it thinking,”Well, at least I could potentially use it as a resource for new believers.”  However, as I got into the book, I found myself being challenged and convicted a number of times.

Based around the Prodigal Son parable found in the gospel of Luke, AHA focuses on unhealthy patterns in the life of a believer - things that pull us away from the Father, and how we can begin to make restorative changes as the prodigal son did.

The “AHA” stands for “Awakening, Honesty, and Action.”  Idleman organizes the book around those three steps in the process of dealing with maladaptive behaviors.  I, personally, was most convicted by the action section.  I don’t generally have a problem identifying and being honest about my issues, but I sure do struggle with taking action.  I think that this emphasis on action is an important piece that can often be missing in books Christians study and read.  It is far too easy to be “hearers of the word” rather than doers, but if what we learn does not translate into action, then it is of little practical value.

Idleman addresses these issues in a way that I found both convicting and motivating, but never condemning.  He’s relatable and honest about some of his own issues - I felt as though he’s on the journey with me rather than someone who has already figured it all out.

This would make a great book to read and discuss with a small group or in the context of a discipling relationship.  It would be good for both immature believers but not so shallow that a person a little further down the road can’t be challenged.  

Just for fun, here's the link to the book trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment