Sunday, December 29, 2019

Reading HIghlights 2019

It's been a busy holiday season in the Thorn house!  I don't know about you, but I really felt that loss of a week of Christmas prep with the later than usual Thanksgiving :).  Today is the first day in several weeks that I've had time to sit still and catch my breath, providing a good opportunity to reflect on the year that's passed before beginning to plan for the year that is to come.  Do you have a regular practice of year-end reflection?  I'd love to hear about it.

This year, I thought it would be fun to share with you some of my favorite books from 2019. 

It was a good reading year for me - although I probably did read more pure escape books than I have in awhile.  Here are a few favorites in different categories:

Spiritual Growth:
Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership by Ruth Haley Barton.  The importance of being spiritually healthy as a leader and how to get there.
The Next Evangelicalism by Soong-Chan Rah.  While the church seems to be shrinking within white populations, it is thriving around the world and within immigrant communities in the US.  What that could mean for the future of Christendom.  A hopeful, challenging read.
The Way of the Dragon or the Way of the Lamb - by Goggin and Strobel.  A book on how the church approaches worldly power and why that is often the antithesis of what Jesus taught and modeled.
Redeeming Sex - by Deb Hirsch.  Somewhat self-explanatory and such a good, convicting read.

Professional/Personal Development:
The Self-Driven Child - by Stixrud and Johnson.  One of the best parenting books I've read in awhile.  One thing they said that sticks with me:  "Your child's life is THEIRS, not YOURS."
Atomic Habits - by James Clear.  Small habits that make a big difference.  This should probably be an annual read for me.
Range - by David Epstein.  As a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, I found this book quite encouraging.
The Heartbeat of Wounded Knee - by David Treuer.  A historical survey of Native America - very informative.

Pleasure Reading:
A Gentleman in Moscow - by Amor Towles
The Day the Angels Fell - by Shawn Smucker
The Dog Stars - by Peter Heller
Maybe You Should Talk to Someone - by Lori Gottlieb

Although I'm not particularly sad to close the books on 2019, I'm grateful for all that the Lord has taught me this year.  He has proven himself faithful to meet me in hard places.  I trust that, whatever 2020 has in store, God will patiently guide me through it.   I look forward to continuing to share the journey with you!

*If you would like to direct some of your year end giving to my work with Cru, head over to this link and it will guide you through the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment